The Tinnitus they are a sound perceived without the presence of an auditory stimulus, would be like a "phantom sound". Tinnitus are not cause of deafness and deafness is not cause of tinnitus, but both entities are often associated, Although the patient sometimes does not perceive it.
Tinnitus can be very variable in frequency characteristics, intensity and loudness, but these features have no connection with their gravity.
They can affect up to a 10% the population on a permanent basis and in fact practically everyone has had tinnitus at some point in his life. But the total number of people suffering from persistent tinnitus, half suffer from it as a problem and for a 10% theirs is a serious problem.
The incidence of tinnitus increases with age and they are more frequent from the 50 years, Although they may appear at any age.
Tips for patients with tinnitus
- First of all it is important to explain to the patient the nature of tinnitus and the fact that they do not mean strictly that while being deaf. We must avoid the anxiety and stress, It stimulate the auditory system particularly sensitive in these patients.
- In this sense the stimulant of the nervous system such as coffee should be avoided, alcohol or tobacco.
- It is recommended to sleep properly. It is advisable to sleep with your head in the raised position to reduce the congestion of cervical. If the noise prevents reconcile sleep can be masked with ambient sound, based mainly on nature sounds such as ocean waves, rain, rivers and birds. There are even pillows with speakers for this purpose.
- If the patient perceives it right it can be useful to use an auditory masking. Likewise, If there is associated hearing loss is also recommended the use of corresponding headphones.
- It is important that patients avoid the sobrelesion of the auditory system and not be exposed to intense noise, that you immediately seek to any other process that may affect the auditory system (otitis, pressure changes,THE ...) and avoid substances, pharmacological or not, that it may be toxic for hearing (Aspirin, aminoglycosides, quinine, quinidine, carbon dioxide,THE ...).
- Some people find benefit with participating in patient associations affected by tinnitus.